Go behind-the-scenes of YouTube Red’s newest series!
We caught up with 18-year-old Disney Channel alum Sophie Reynolds, who stars as Plain Jane in our latest obsession, teen dramedy “Youth & Consequences,” for the inside scoop on everything from what the cast did between takes to the secret set and prop details you might not have noticed and more!
The eight episode digital series (which officially premiered yesterday!) follows powerful trendsetter Farrah Cutney (Anna Akana), the queen of Central Rochester High who discovers that as her rivals rise, the only thing harder than obtaining absolute power is keeping it. Keep scrolling to get Sophie’s 411 on all things Y&C!
1. The show was filmed in Ogden, Utah! The show takes place in Rochester, but there are multiple Rochesters in the US and we don’t know which one it’s actually supposed to be.
2. Every episode of the show was directed by a woman. Most of our lead cast is female and the idea of strong women leaders is a huge part of the show, so seeing that represented off screen as well was incredibly empowering. I feel very proud to be a part of a show giving opportunities to women in this industry who are so often underrepresented.
3. The main characters of the show are all high schoolers, but no one in the cast is still in high school. I’m actually the baby of the group at 18.
4. On the show, Farrah, Jayne, Jane, and Hurley are big bridge players. Our writer and creator, Jason Ubaldi, loved the idea of four teenage girls playing a card game that’s often associated with a completely different generation and making it “cool” again. One of our first days of pre production we all had to get together for a bridge lesson and learn how to play. We ended up liking it so much we’d meet up in our trailers between scenes to play!
5. No one in the main cast is from Utah so we all had to temporarily relocate to Utah while we were shooting. Piper Curda and I had actually never met prior to shooting, but we decided we would try and live together while there. It ended up being a great decision and now she’s one of my closest friends!
6. We hung out a lot as a cast off screen and were always looking to do something new around town. One of my favorite cast outings was axe throwing! You actually go to a place and throw axes at a wall, kind of like dart throwing, and play different games. It’s a ton of fun and one of the most unique Ogden activities we did!
7. On the last day of shooting the final episode, we were all so upset and did not want to leave each other! Most of us finished filming at the beginning of the day, but we all ended up sticking around just watching and hanging out until the final scene wrapped at 4:00 in the morning because we refused to leave each other.
8. One of our favorite cast bonding activities was game night playing a game called Resistance! We all got together, sometimes multiple nights a week, to play because we loved it so much. The game is all about who you trust, and if you’ve ever played you know it can often end in hours of yelling at each other, but luckily it only brought us closer together haha.
9. We had an adorable set dog named Peanut who hung out in wardrobe and we loved her so much. Everyone would look for excuses to go to wardrobe just to play with Peanut.
10. Anna Akana not only plays the star of our show, Farrah, but she also co-created and executive produced it. She was definitely our fearless leader on and off screen and I have so much respect for her. I have learned so much from her and I feel lucky to have been able to work with her. Also, she’s just a super fun person who loves cats so how can you not love her?
11. You might not notice when you’re watching, but each of our characters has a signature lunch drink. Plain Jane’s drink was a green juice and it was actually quite delicious.
Want to know more about YouTube Red’s newest series? “Pretty Little Liars” alum Kara Royster (who plays Jayne in Y&C) gave us the inside scoop!