Dating is hard, but it’s even harder when you have millions of followers watching your every move! At 17-years-old, social media star and musician Zach Clayton — who recently wrapped up the Left Me Hangin’ Tour with Jacob Sartorius and Hayden Summerall — has learned a thing or two about wearing his heart on his sleeve: the ups, the downs, and everything in between.
Keep scrolling to catch the tips and tricks he’s picked up along the way!
1. It can sometimes be hard to find girls who look beyond your number of followers and can handle the limelight. I’ve chosen to date other social media influencers, with whom I share common goals and lifestyles.
2. It’s important to have boundaries with what you will and will not share with followers. I will never broadcast fights with my girlfriend on social media. It’s important to resolve fights behind closed doors and without the weight of outside opinions.
3. I only share relationships publicly when I know the girl is right, and I know that we have the potential to last a very long time.
4. I don’t put pressure on working with my girlfriend professionally. I usually find it easy when we collaborate because we’re both doing what we love, and it makes it better to do it with someone you love.
5. With such a huge fan base of girls, I try to treat my relationship as normally as possible. I like to show off my girlfriend and always show love and affection.
6. I find it really important to have honesty and loyalty in relationships. Those are always things I look for in a girlfriend.
7. When going through a breakup on social media, I don’t read the comments and responses that fans leave. It’s hard enough to go through a breakup, so I don’t torture myself by looking at pictures of my ex and me together.
8. When moving on from a relationship, I love spending time with my friends. It helps me relax my mind and uplift my mood.
9. When traveling a lot on tour or for work, I’m always on my phone texting or FaceTiming with my girlfriend to stay in contact and remain an important piece of each other’s day-to-day lives.
10. Most important, I’ve learned to have fun in relationships. They don’t always work out, and that’s OK, but you can make a lot of great memories with people you love, and I think that’s what it’s all about.
In case you missed it, Zach revealed his new alter-ego, Bad Zach, with his “Off White” music video late last year!