Go behind-the-scenes of YouTube Red’s “Cobra Kai“!
The sequel to the wildly-popular “Karate Kid” franchise picks up over thirty years after it left off at the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament, and introduces fans of the throwback flicks to a handful of better-than-before characters alongside the classic originals.
After being renewed for a second season, we caught up with 17-year-old actor Xolo Maridueña for the inside scoop on everything from how long it took to get into full makeup to to the secret set and prop details you might not have noticed and more! Keep scrolling to get Xolo’s behind-the-scenes secrets.
STOKED TO ANNOUNCE THAT ILL BE JUMPING ON THE COBRA KAI TRAIN. Humbled to be given the opportunity to portray Miguel Diaz, a “sexy-badass roundhouse-kicking-tall-intelligent young man” (their words, not mine). Such a pleasure to work with some top notch actors, producers, and directors to bring you all the TV Show you’ve been waiting 30 years for. More announcements and pictures coming soon, but for now, let your karate gi’s soak in Karate Kid nostalgia as we bring you something worth remembering! @youtube #YouTubeRed #CobraKai #thekaratekid (Also enjoy some Grade-A training shots of me on the first day) @courtneyhenggeler @tannerbuchananofficial @missmarymmouser @william_zabka @ralph_macchio
1. Miguel’s apartment structure is completely a set! None of the doors actually lead to anything.
2. The first time we did the skeleton makeup, it took an hour and a half but after three or four times putting the paint on, it took around 20-30 minutes.
3. It snowed in Marietta, Georgia while we were filming the final episode. While we were delayed a day due to crazy weather conditions, it was so nice to see snow for the first time in a while.
4. We tried to use a ouiji board on set and contrary to popular belief, I didn’t get possessed by any spirits.
5. Hawk’s Mohawk is real! They actually dyed his hair and everything.
Love getting insider info on all your favorite shows? Emilia McCarthy recently spilled the 411 on what *really* went down on set of Disney’s “Zombies”!