Get to know the cast of “Artemis Fowl”!
Real talk: Disney+‘s latest sci-fi film just dropped on June 12th, and we’ve already lost count of how many times we’ve watched it. The epic story centers around the disappearance of Artemis’ father and the journey he goes on to find him. Along the way, he encounters fairies, trolls, dwarves, and more!
1. Ferdia (who plays Artemis) and Lara (who plays Holly) were both big fans of the “Artemis Fowl” books before they were cast in the movie. In a recent interview together, Lara said, “For me, my agent contacted me … she mentioned that the audition was for “Artemis Fowl” and I immediately looked over at my bookshelf where I have all eight books sitting…I loved them all growing up.” Talk about a full-circle moment!
2. Tamara Smart (who plays Juliet) originally auditioned to play Holly. Before being cast as Juliet, the 15-year-old actress was one of the final choices for Holly! While chatting about the casting process, Tamara revealed that she first met Lara during one of the auditions and was overjoyed that she was the one ultimately cast as Holly. “I was like ‘Wow! She truly, truly deserved it.’ And, honestly, no one can play Holly better than her.”
3. Lara got her start doing musical theatre. Before she was Holly, the 16-year-old star made her professional acting debut as the leading role in the musical “Matilda” in London! Can we start a petition for Lara to star in a Disney musical next?
4. The cast had a cupcake baking competition during their first day on set! Instead of immediately jumping into rehearsing big, heavy acting scenes, director Kenneth Branagh eased the cast into everything with a fun-filled ice breaker. Looking back on that day, Lara reminisced, “Whilst we baked with Judi Dench we talked about the film and story … it was such an amazing experience to fine tune those details in that situation. I cannot believe that happened!”
5. The stars had to go to class between takes. Since they were missing so much school while filming the movie, Lara and Ferdia had a tutoring trailer on set. The two revealed in an interview that their favorite subjects are both English, which made studying together more fun!
6. Working with Josh Gad was just as fun as you could imagine. The iconic funnyman, who you may know as the voice of Olaf in Disney’s “Frozen” franchise, brought his humor both on-screen and off! Ferdia even revealed that Josh “ad-libs a ton so he’s always coming up with these really funny lines. You would think that we wouldn’t get a scene finished because we would have to retake, retake, and retake!”
7. All of the books in Artemis’ bedroom at Fowl Manor were picked out by Ferdia, himself! In order to make the library more authentic and personal, the director revealed that he allowed Ferdia to hand select all of his favorite books to put on display in Artemis’ bedroom. How cool is that?!
8. Ferdia recently gave his phone up for an entire year. Last year, the 16-year-old Irish actor decided to completely devote his time to reading the “Game of Thrones” books, which meant giving up his phone too! He didn’t text or call the whole time, but explained that, if “you give it up and you kind of forget about it for a while.” Now, that is some serious commitment!
9. The stars have been binging Disney+ while quarantining! Both Ferdia and Lara admitted in an interview that they’ve spent a lot of time watching their favorite series and movies on the streaming site while stuck at home. Ferdia has been enjoying episodes of “The Simpsons” and “The Mandelorian” while Lara binged all of “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series”. We can totally relate!
10. Ferdia wants to explore all aspects of filmmaking! While he only utilized his acting skills in this particular project, the breakout star is interested in behind-the-camera work as well. In an interview with Entertainment Tonight, Ferdia said: “I’m involved in a film group where we direct, we edit, we act, we do all the script formatting. It’s really cool.”
11. Ferdia and Lara both got to keep items from the set once they finished filming. Lara took home three pairs of the elf ears from her character’s costume and Ferdia got to keep one of his one-wheelers, which is something that Artemis rides in the movie. Too cool!
If you already watched “Artemis Fowl,” check out these 14 TV shows to binge-watch while social distancing!